About Me

My photo
Bangalore, India
I am an Oracle Certified Professional working in SAP Labs. Everything written on my blog has been tested on my local environment, Please test before implementing or running in production. You can contact me at amit.rath0708@gmail.com.

Monday, December 16, 2013

How to change ssh port to a non default port in Unix

Yesterday I have to change default ssh port from 22 to 1022. This change in port from default to non-default  enhances security of your server a little bit. Changing port from 22 to 1022 will stop automated attacks and it becomes difficult to guess from which port server is accessible.

Solution :-

1. As root user edit the sshd_config file in /etc/ssh location.

edit Port 22 to Port 1022

2. Before changing port to a non default value, check port is not being used by any other server.

3. Once Port has been changed in /etc/ssh/sshd_config file , restart SSH service :-

  #stopsrc -s sshd
  #startsrc -s sshd

  or by 

  #service sshd restart

4. Check that the changed port is working:-

ssh -p 1022 server1

I hope this article helped you.

Regards,
Amit Rath

No comments:

Post a Comment